A Family Orientated Tennis Club in Finchley Central

The Avenue Tennis Club Policies Logo

Complaints Policy

This policy tells you how to make a complaint at The Avenue Tennis Club.

This is the policy that we will follow if your complaint is about someone’s conduct or behaviour. This could be because you think that someone has behaved in a way that is unsafe, unprofessional, discriminatory, offensive or intimidating. It could be because someone has broken important rules or policies.

Values and Principles

You have the right to complain: we take complaints seriously. You should not be harassed, bullied or put at a disadvantage because of making a complaint.

Equality: you should receive a proper response to your complaint, regardless of your age, gender, disability, race, religion, nationality, social status, sexual orientation or political persuasion.

Fairness: we believe that complaints should be dealt with fairly and openly. Unless it would put other people at risk, those affected by a complaint should have a chance to contribute and respond to any investigation.

Safety and welfare take priority: we will always give priority to concerns that affect safety and welfare. Issues affecting children will be treated very seriously..

Confidentiality: we treat complaints as confidentially as possible.

Sometimes we have to discuss complaints with other organisations. If we are worried about a risk to a person or to the public, we might need to pass on our concerns to the right authorities. If necessary, we will get advice from other organisations such as the Police, Social Services or the LTA. /p>

How to make a complaint

Complaints will usually be handled by senior staff and officials.  Useful contact details have been included at the bottom of this policy.

  1. Management committee: you can speak to any of our officials/committee members.

  2. Coaches: any of the coaches can also tell you how to make a complaint.

  3. Welfare Officer: if you are a child, or if you are worried about the safety or welfare of a child.

  4. Anyone else involved at the place to play that you trust.  

The address for written complaints has been included at the bottom of this policy.

What will we do to investigate?

We will give an initial response to your complaint within five working days. If the matter is urgent, we will respond more quickly. We will investigate your complaint fairly. This means that we will discuss the complaint with all of the relevant people. We will try to gather any information that may be relevant to handling your complaint.

Sometimes we will ask to show copies of information from the investigation to other people to allow them to respond.  This is because we believe in fairness and openness. We will not share information if we think that this will endanger someone’s safety or welfare.

How will I know what is happening?

You will be given the details of a person who will be your point of contact at the place to play. That person will make sure that you understand the process, and will help to answer any questions or concerns that you have. You will be given an update on the progress of your complaint every two weeks. If there are delays in handling your complaint for any reason, we will keep you informed. If your complaint leads to formal disciplinary action against someone, we will usually inform you about the outcome. We will not tell you the outcome if that person is a child, or if we believe that telling you would create a risk to other people. In this situation, we will still try to tell you about how you are affected by the action that we have taken.

What are the possible outcomes or results of my complaint?

In many cases, we are able to resolve problems informally. This might include:

  1. A change in arrangements for particular activities.

  2. An explanation or apology.

  3. An agreement to communicate or act differently in future.

  4. If an informal resolution is not suitable, then a small committee of senior officials will look at the information about the case. We will try to make sure that this committee does not contain anyone directly involved with your complaint. They might decide to take the following action:

    a) Formal disciplinary action under the rules of the place to play.
    b) Formal disciplinary action against a member of staff.
    c) Changes in formal contracts or arrangements put in place by the place to play.
    d) A decision to refer the case to another organisation such as the LTA, Police, or Social Services.
    e) Closure of your complaint without action.

Is there anyone else I can talk to?

Sometimes it can be useful to speak directly to someone outside the place to play:

  1. You need urgent advice about someone’s safety or welfare.

  2. You don’t want to discuss the issue with someone at the place to play.

  3. Your complaint is very serious.

  4. Your complaint involves other organisations.

  5. You need specialist advice.

The LTA is able to advise on a range of different complaints, and in some cases will handle the complaint directly.  If you are worried about a child’s welfare, you can contact the following people:

  1. The Welfare Officer at the County LTA.

  2. The National LTA Child Protection Department (24hrs).

  3. Childline, or the NSPCC advice line, local Social Services, Police.

Questions or queries about this policy

If you have a general query about this complaints policy, you should contact:

Patricia Moore

07990 556 815


Policy updates
All Avenue Policies are reviewed and updated annually.